Another year older! Numbers don’t lie. Every year, I find myself reflecting on my birthday. So, here are my birthday reflections. These are just a good chunk of my realizations, what I’m valuing, what I’m still wanting and what I have learned this past year.
- Trusting in Allah (God). Completely. Doing more dhikr (remembrance/praise of God) helps with that.
- More quality time with family – I’m valuing this more and more as I’m getting older. Especially cherishing my parents.
- Needing my girlfriends! Heart to heart conversations are the best with your close few.
- Getting my creative juices flowing – in any way, shape or form. This could be building my business, artwork with the kids, cooking in the kitchen, dancing, etc.
- Incorporating more quiet time/stillness in my day where I get to connect with myself, Allah and nature- taking little ‘nature breaks’ when I feel the need
- Prioritizing physical activity to feel strong and fit. Again, for me that looks like yoga!
- Practicing gratitude by appreciating and celebrating the good in my life.
- Learning more and more about mental and emotional health especially as it relates to my individual self
- Exploring with my kids
- Finding those little moments of joy and laughter amongst the hectic schedules and motherhood duties of daily life. Being fully present in them.
- Bonding over some good entertainment with others
- Healing myself
- Not comparing my life to others
- Moving on
- Taking action and showing up
I hope you could relate with some of these or be inspired by them. What realizations are hitting you as you’re getting older? I would love to hear some of them. We’re all always evolving and as we go through different phases of life, sometimes that has us re-evaluating some of the outdated beliefs and ideas we’ve been carrying with us. Reflecting really helps you figure out what’s serving you and what’s not anymore. I urge you to give it a try!